Remington Arms Company

Additional Historical Information

Remington History

In the early 1800's, Eliphalet Remington II lived and worked on the family properties in upper New York State. The family's business was farming, but also included a metalworks that manufactured farm implements for the local area. It is believed that in 1816, Eliphalet manufactured his own rifle barrel using the family forge. He than had a rifle constructed using this barrel.

The quality of Eliphalet's rifle was greatly admired, and others requested that Eliphalet make rifle barrels for them. Within a few years, guns with Remington-made barrels could be found throughout the area. This gun barrel business grew and Remington produced a wide variety of barrels of the highest quality for that time.

The only power available for the Remington business of that era was created by water wheels turned by a stream running beneath the manufacturing building. During the winter when the stream was frozen, Remington soon set his workers to manufacturing rifle stocks. The first full Remington-made rifle is thought to have been made in the 1840's.

In 1856, Eliphalet's sons Philo and Samuel became full partners in the business and the company's name became "E. Remington & Sons".

In 1865, the partnership of E. Remington & Sons was incorporated as a stock company. Over the years, the partnership and the succeeding corporation developed the first hammerless solid breech repeating shotgun, the first hammerless autoloading shotgun, the first successful high-power slide action repeating rifle, and the first lock breach autoloading rifle. In 1865-66, Remington produced the state-of-the-art Rolling Block Rifle.

In March 1888, E. Remington & Sons was acquired by Marcellus Hartley and partners. E. Remington & Sons was reorganized, and the new company was named the Remington Arms Company. In later years, in order to better utilize the potential of the Remington Plant, the company would produce sewing machines and cash registers.

Information Courtesy of Scripophily .com ® the Internet's #1 Store for buying and selling Old Stock and Bond Certificates

 

 See also UNISYS

 


History of Computing

An Encyclopedia of the People and Machines that Made Computer History


Copyright © 1982-2001, Lexikon Services "History of Computing" ISBN 0-944601-78-2

See Photo Copyright Info

Return to Gallery Index