NCR 304 (1957)
The NCR 304, built in 1957, was thefirst all solid-state business computer available. It was produced by the NCR Corporation. The first NCR 304 was installed in 1959 for the U.S. Marine Corps at Camp Pendleton, California.
During its 30-day test run, it produced a 99.3% average "up time," greatly exceeding even the Marine Corps expectations.
The U.S. Government purchased many more 304's, as did Macy's Department Store, Sumitomo Bank in Japan, and many other companies. The machine was regarded as a highly advanced business computer in its time, and many remained operational well into the mid 1970's.
History of Computing
An Encyclopedia of the People and Machines that Made Computer History
Copyright © 1982-2000, Lexikon Services "History of Computing" ISBN 0-944601-78-2
See Photo Copyright Info
Return to Gallery Index