MIT TX-O Computer (1953)

The TX-O was an experimental computer built at Lincoln Labs at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1953.

The TX-O used transistors instead of vacuum tubes. It utilized the Flexowriter printer that was also used with the SAGE computer.

The TX-O was the first in a series of TX computers at Lincoln Labs.

The TX-O was eventually turned over to the MIT Electrical Engineering Department for use by students. A successor computer, the TX-2, was also developed at Lincoln Labs.

On October 26, 1960, a television broadcast was aired on the CBS show "The Thinking Machine" which featured a series of western playlets developed by a program run on the TX-O. The program, called SAGA II, was developed for the TX-O by Douglas Ross and Harrison Morse of MIT's Electronics Systems Laboratory.


History of Computing

An Encyclopedia of the People and Machines that Made Computer History


Copyright © 1982-2000, Lexikon Services "History of Computing" ISBN 0-944601-78-2

See Photo Copyright Info

Return to Gallery Index