Disk Unit from an IBM 1301 Data Storage Unit (1962)
Photo Courtesy of Jason Greenia
This circular disk is a 24 inch magnetic disc for an IBM 1301 Data Storage Facility.
1301 Data Storage Facility Disk was one of 50 per unit. These units were first introduced in 1962. Capacity of each disk was approximately 500,000 characters (500K). These storage disks were normally attached to an IBM 650 or 1510 CPU.
The disk is made of aluminum, about 1/8" thick. Probably one of the largest disks mass produced.
Disk, CD ROM and DVD Chronology
1956 IBM RAMAC is first computer to use random access disk drives
1971 IBM (Alan Shugart) develops the 8 inch floppy diskette
1976 IBM introduces the 5-1/4 inch floppy diskette
1981 Sony introduces the 3.5 inch diskette
1985 Philips and Sony introduce the CD-ROM
1996 DVD-ROM is introduced
See also Wang Disk Pack
Storage Disks Compared
History of Computing
An Encyclopedia of the People and Machines that Made Computer History
Copyright © 1982-2001, Lexikon Services "History of Computing" ISBN 0-944601-78-2
See Photo Copyright Info
Return to Gallery Index