EDVAC "Electronic Discrete Variable Automatic Computer"
J Presper Eckert, John Mauchly, John von Neumann, Herbert Goldstine and A. W. Burks teamed to work on a computer called the EDVAC. The EDVAC was completed in 1952.
The EDVAC utilized 3,600 vacuum tubes and was the first stored program computer. The EDVAC was used at the Ballistic Research Laboratories at Aberdeen, Maryland. It was operational until December 1962.
On March 31, J. Presper Eckert and John Mauchly resigned from the Moore School of Engineering due to disagreements concerning Moore's patent policies. In June, Eckert and Mauchly founded the Electronic Control Company, which later becomes the Eckert-Mauchly Computer Company.
Copyright © 1982-2000, Lexikon Services "History of Computing" ISBN 0-944601-78-2